Tips for Staying Safe When Taking a Minicab
Minicab and taxi services are an essential part of the lives of millions of people around the world. It is one of the most popular and commonly used services around the world. On a daily basis, thousands and thousands of people are taking a taxi or a minicab to get from location A to location B. However, there are still some people that feel a bit uneasy and stressed when using the service. It is understandable why.
At the end of the day, every time you are entering a vehicle that is driven by someone else, even when you know the driver is a professional one, you are giving up part of your control over the vehicle and surrendering it to another person you usually don’t know. Just the idea of it is overwhelming enough. When taking a taxi or a minicab it is important to be careful and consider your own safety. A few simple tips and ideas can help you ensure a safer and more stress-free ride. Check them out here.
- Always use a licensed taxi or minicab. This will decrease the risk of getting scammed and it will help you rest assured that in case something unexpected happens, you will have your rights as a client. In addition, a licensed service registered and fulfilling all requirements in the field will give you the peace of mind the driver has been trained, certified, experienced and right for the job and that a background check is made. In addition, the vehicles are going through regular maintenance and check.
- You can hail a taxi in the street or you can opt for arranging a taxi or minicab pickup over the phone or by using an app. It is easy, quick, and very convenient. Minicabs cannot be hailed in the street and it is illegal.
- Always check if the taxi or minicab driver has their ID on display along with vehicle’s license. It is a requirement from a trustworthy and reputable taxi and minicab companies that should be followed by all drivers. If the ID is missing or the driver does not want to show it to you if asked, you better choose another service or driver.
- When you are booking a minicab service over the phone or through an online app, make sure to ask about the driver’s name and the colour and make of the vehicle. Once the minicab arrives at the address, you will be able to confirm if this is the minicab you have ordered.
- It is recommendable to sit in the back of the car if you are travelling alone. Also, make sure you are careful and not giving any personal details and information to the driver. However, you can still be friendly.
- Trust your gut feelings and instincts. If you don’t feel comfortable enough with the driver and the service or you have the feeling that something feels suspicious or like a scam, do not hesitate to ask the driver to stop at a busy area where you can get out of the car. In case the driver refuses to stop after you have asked them and indicated your intent a couple of times, do not hesitate to make a call to the police or you can opt for alerting other drivers and pedestrians by waiving or calling out the window.